Nutella Infused Strawberry Roll
Written by Florence Heeman
Yields: 10 servings
- 6 egg whites (1-cup/250mL)
- 2 cups/500 mL chopped strawberries (or raspberries)
- ½ cup/125 mL heavy cream
- ¼ cup/50 mL sugar
- ¼ cup/50 mL shredded coconut
- ¼ cup/50 mL chopped pecans
- ¼ cup/50 mL Nutella
- 1 tsp/5 mL sugar*
- ½ tsp/2 mL vanilla
- ½ tsp/2 mL cornstarch
- ½ tsp/2 mL white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 325°F degrees.
- Butter a baking sheet and line it with buttered parchment paper.
- Mix the vinegar, cornstarch and vanilla in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form and gradually add the ¼ cup of sugar. Continue beating to stiff peaks. Slowly whisk the vinegar mixture into the meringue.
- Spread the meringue evenly onto a 9x13" (23x30.5cm) pan. Sprinkle the coconut and pecans over the meringue. Bake 10 to 12 minutes. Cool completely.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the heavy cream and 1 tsp sugar to stiff peaks.
- Use a knife to release the edges and remove the meringue from the baking sheet. Turn the meringue over onto a parchment lined surface, nut side down. Spread the nutella (gently preheat in microwave so it spreadble) over the meringue and then spread the whipped cream over the nutella layer.
- Sprinkle with chopped strawberries (raspberries), leaving a little room at one of the short ends to help seal the roll. Starting with the short end with more fruit, roll the meringue into a log, keeping the roll as tight as possible.
- To serve, cut into slices with serrated knife.
*Maple syrup, agave or stevia can be substituted.
This is such a popular recipe with our family I usually double the recipe!
Recipe adapted from Jessica Phillips -- Raleigh, NC